Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Parka Day

The day I have been anticipating since I arrived in the frigid north is HERE!

That is right friends and family.... From now on December 31 will now be referred to as Parka Day. I get the feeling that there is some other thing that is supposed to be celebrated today but it pales in comparison to the elation I feel now that senor parka is here. Despite the fact that my chicken burger smells like horse and I can't have a shower in my bathroom I am happy because my parka is here.

For all of you who don't know I have been trying to find a warmer coat since I arrived. I get laughed at wherever I go for wearing a Columbia Jacket. Despite my protests that it has an inner fleece layer and it is surprisingly warm the Sourdoughs don't believe me.

My first attempt at parka buying was in Sears in Kingston. I dragged Michelle into Sears and for those of you who don't know Sears and department stores in general give Michelle cold chills.

My second attempt at parka ordering came on my second day of work here. There aren't many stores up here for "shopping" (at the moment there is one) so I decided what the hell, Sears delivers to very near my house, I'll order from sears. I order a white parka, which if you know me realize, that it is against my nature to buy anything that so easily shows stains. I wanted the black but they didn't have it in my size. This parka wasn't pretty but it was rated for extreme cold so I sucked it up and ordered the white. Two weeks later the worst happens. I check my inbox and there is a message from sears saying my parka has been cancelled. No white parka for me.

My third attempt was with good ol fall back e-bay. If you can't get it anywhere else you might as well try your luck with e-bay. I found a beautiful, long, down, brown, "The North Face" coat which I fell in love with. I bid like a mofo and I won that coat (for a bit more than I wanted). But it was about $100 less than retail so I was happy.

I have been tracking the coat through Canada post and upon learning it had arrived in Whitehorse yesterday, did not expect it for at least a week. I was pleasantly surprised when there was a package card in my box and the mail goddess brought me the parka.

I may have shed tears of joy. I may have done a happy dance too. But now I am a warm lumpy brown blob and have never been happier.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Oh, what's that name I see in there? Is that 'Michelle'? Well, by golly, it is! Pray tell, who is this 'Michelle' you speak of? She sounds hot.