Thursday, December 11, 2008

New Yukon Dictionary

Here are a few terms in common use up in the Yukon:

Mild: the -20 range (although here they don't really use the minus its just assumed)
Cold: -50
Warm: mud season

Snow Machine: aka snowmobile

General store: the place that sells fruit that was rejected from B.C., sells Hot Chocolate in massive Costco inspired quantities, and sells a noname brand known as Co-op which is apparently from Saskatchewan.

Snarfing: not quite stealing, but doesn't have the same return date imposed on it as borrowing does.

Keys: They are left in cars that are running but I don't have any for my house (because it is never locked)

Fast Food: Making sure the food is consumed before it gets cold. As if there are any chains up here.

Small Dog: I don't remember everyone here has massive dogs bigger than my mom.

Snow: a good thing when it falls because it means its warm enough for it to snow.

Sun: that thing that tries to get above the mountains at about 11am and goes away at about 3:30 pm

Cell Phones: a recent luxury appearing in Dawson City in 2007.

and last but not least

The Post Office: The Centre of the Universe.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm afraid that "snowmobile" is definitely a general Northern-y thing. That's what you do in Sudbury!

J. William Finch said...

Jen, let's play a game. Spend all day tomorrow counting the plaid jackets or shirts, and blog how many.

I estimate whatever the listed population of the town is. ;)

there's your dose of ontario small-mindedness for today. I'm sure the people there are nice tho!

Jen said...

I like that suggestion. I think I'll leave that open for a Saturday when I "go into town".