Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sick Weekend

No I'm not using sick in the "wicked, awesome, fantastic" meaning of the word. I am talking about popping nyquil, not getting dressed, and drinking soup sick.

This post may not be the most coherent because I am writing it from in bed.

I thought I'd take this opportunity to talk about healthcare in the Yukon. I figured I'd examine it from an outsider's perspective and hope that in doing that the virus that is invading my body will leave and I won't have to give the insider's perspective. P.S. for all of you family members don't get worried. Its just a winter virus. I will be fine. No need to worry.

The Nursing Station in Dawson City is run by Yukon Health and Social Services. The building looks like a big portable from an elementary school. It is a orangey-yellow. And it is about 100 steps from my house.

The doctors work monday-friday in normal business hours. And I guess are on call. I think there are nurses on call all of the time.

I'm not quite sure what number to call if I need an ambulance. But the number that is similar to TeleHealth Ontario is 811 (there is no 911 up here). There is a nurse answering 811 24/7.
The "pharmacy" up here doesn't dispense prescription drugs. They are dispensed at the health centre. And if they don't have them they need to get them from Whitehorse.


For exciting medical conditions you are flown in a chopper down to Whitehorse. If you need to get fancy tests done (an ultrasound for example) Yukon Health pays for you to fly down to Whitehorse for the test and pays to put you up there. Due to the lack of hospital here in Dawson many things are done down there (yes Whitehorse is down there). If a woman is going to have a baby she needs to go down to Whitehorse. So siblings get to see their new baby sibling in the Dawson Airport for the first time. Babies come from the airplane kids.

An important lesson has been learned from this blog. Don't do drugs kids. Or get the wrong airplane baby.

No comments: